Motocross safety standards reached new heights in 2004 when Dr. Chris Leatt unveiled his innovative neck brace. His initiative started after seeing a rider killed in 2001 - just days after his son started riding. The device is designed to fit with a helmet to prevent a rider's neck from extreme movement and works similar to the HANS Device used in NASCAR - optional equipment at the time driver Dale Earnhardt was killed in 2001 at Daytona - which he was not wearing.
Leatt first introduced the motocross neck brace in his native South America and by 2006 the world took notice. Consider the following accolades awarded to the Leatt Brace since its inception:
- RacerX's 2007 "Product of the Year"
- Motocross Action awarded the device a 5/5 star rating in 2007
- Motocross Action readers voted the Leatt-Brace "Product of the Decade" in 2009
- Ryan Dungey won the 2010 Supercross Championship wearing the Leatt-Brace
New Innovations and Continued Neck Brace Research
If the old saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is true then all the awards and honors for Leatt are simply icing on the cake. Today, Alpinestars, Atlas and EVS embrace dirt bike neck brace technology. The competition brings solid innovations making neck braces more comfortable and less inhibitive, a common complaint against earlier models, and gives the dirt bike rider more choice.
Neck Brace Size Chart
Leatt Neck Brace
Atlas Neck Brace
Which Neck Brace is the Best?
So, with the growing number of motocross neck braces available what's the best choice for you?
Consider the following when deciding on a neck brace:
- Investing in neck protection is a choice
- Not required equipment for racing
- Takes time and patience to get used to wearing
- After "break-in" period the neck brace is no more cumbersome than a helmet or boots
Cost is always an influencing factor and opting for an inexpensive dirt bike neck brace with minimal protection is certainly better than no protection. Choose from the following three options based on your budgetary preferences when comparing motocross neck braces:
- Race Collar
- Neck Support
- Neck Brace