Welcome to the Next Level of Brain Protection.
Raising the Bar - Introducing the new ATR-2 with Advanced ODS.
- Advanced O.D.S. technology.
- Ultralight 1480 grams.
- Washable Dri-Lex liner.
- Emergency release cheek pads.
- Air Gap ventilation system.
- Three-year warranty.
What's Different, and Why Is It Important?
The ATR-2 with advanced ODS is evolved to provide improved performance in both linear and angular acceleration mitigation, and is also easily rebuildable for a potentially longer service life. This improves rider safety and saves the consumer money.
- Optimized Shell Design: The 6D concept of 'Optimized Shell Design' does not define one element, but a system where multiple materials work together, in concert, to provide greater protection and energy management. The shell must have the structural integrity to prevent penetration, but it should not be overly stiff or rigid either. An overly stiff and rigid shell can seriously compromise the helmet's energy management potential.
- Multi-Impact Outer EPP (Expanded Polypropylene) Liner: 6D strategically positioned the multi-impact EPP outer liner against the helmet shell's inner surface. An exceptional energy absorption material, the EPP was specifically engineered with islands of EPP "Damping Towers" to assist in progressive loading of the ODS system during impacts. The multi-impact capability of the EPP is one of the key elements that allows the rebuilding of the ATR-2 after a moderate to severe impact. (Note: Helmet may be rebuilt provided the helmet's shell is not compromised from the impact event).
- Low-Friction Disks: Multiple smooth disks top the damping towers to reduce friction under loading thereby assisting in angular acceleration mitigation.
- Elastomeric Isolation Dampers: An array of Isolation Dampers connect the ODS carrier to the outer EPP liner and work in unison to isolate impact energy from the brain. The elastic properties of the dampers, combined with their unique shape provide a progressive spring rate that assists in managing low-threshold energy. The hour glass shape and elastic property also work to manage the three-dimensional displacement of the inner liner.
- Replaceable Inner EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) Liner: The inner EPS liner is the first layer of defense and a very important component of the new advanced ODS design. It is effectively a helmet within a helmet. It has its own in-molded PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) shell that serves many functions. It nests into the ODS carrier, provides strength and integrity to the EPS, and serves as a slippery surface to aid in reducing angular acceleration forces. The EPS is of a softer density than the EPP and is secured into the helmet with four locking pins that mate to the ODS carrier. It is also captured by the Chin Bar EPP which provides additional security.
- ODS Carrier: The ODS carrier allowed the development of a modular helmet design that is easily rebuildable. The carrier also supports the isolation dampers and helps to manage the system materials during impact, compression, and shearing loads. ODS self-re-centers post impact.
- EPP Lined Chinbar: Thicker lower density EPP lined chinbar is more durable and provides more energy absorbing material for side impacts to the jaw area. It also includes a polyurethane over-molded sternum pad.
- New Safety Features: Two new safety elements have been engineered into the new ATR-2. The first, a structural "Brow Rib" provides incremental strength to the upper eyeport area providing additional integrity to the shell nearest the eyeport opening. Additionally, a strategically designed "Cervical Protection Zone" nests inside the lower rear base of the helmet. This area is designed to provide a more compliant crushable region in the event the helmet is pushed down and back into the neck and spine during an accident.
Low-Threshold Energy: Low velocity impacts are far and away the most common type of off-road accidents.
- Medical research has provided alarming conclusions surrounding the causes, severity, and long-term effects of concussions. Even seemingly minor concussions may have much more serious long-term effects on the brain.
- No other helmet company cared about low-threshold energy transfer before 6D brought the issue to light in 2013. This is the most critical performance range of helmets and covers all impact velocities below the certification standard's requirements, for both linear and angular accelerations.
- 6D's Omni-Directional Suspension (ODS) starts working the instant any force is applied to the shell. Its suspended inner liner travels and shears under crash impact loading thereby reducing energy transfer to the brain.
Angular Acceleration: Angular acceleration force is the primary cause of concussion.
- Angular acceleration (rotational force) is generated from oblique angle impacts to the helmet surface resulting in shearing, stretching, and tearing, of the soft tissues within the brain. The medical community has determined that angular acceleration is the primary cause of concussion, traumatic brain injury and worse.
- Laboratory testing at Wayne State University has proven that a helmeted head sustained the same degree of angular acceleration as the un-helmeted head when subjected to identical impacts. This is because the helmet is directly "coupled" to the wearer's head. One of the major benefit features of Omni-Directional Suspension (ODS) is that it effectively "uncouples" that relationship allowing the shell and outer liner to shear independently to the inner layer and the head-form; thereby scrubbing a high percentage of the angular acceleration force.
Broad-Range Protection: The most compliant energy management solution available.
- The new ATR-2, with its advanced ODS system, elevates safety to the next level of energy management performance.
Time-To-Peak (TTP): Time is critical in reducing energy transfer to the brain.
- Time-To-Peak (TTP) is the measurement of time (in milliseconds) it takes the energy of an impact to reach maximum (peak) G force. Deceleration time is the single most beneficial component of reducing the severity and magnitude of any impact. The more time, the less severe the energy transfer will become.
- 6D's advanced ODS technology buys time.
The Next Level: ATR-2 vs. ATR-1.
- The new ATR-2 with advanced ODS provides substantial improvements in performance over the current ATR-1 across the entire range of energy demands; low, mid, and high velocity accelerations for both linear and angular accelerations.